Seraglio of Giorgios BoulgarisArchitecture & Mansions / See & Do / Sights
This two-story masterpiece in the Turkish style, built by Commander George Voulgaris in 1802, stands on the southwest side of Hydra harbor, between the mansions of Lazaros Kondouriotis and Manolis Tombazis.
A native Hydriot, Voulgaris was appointed governor of the island by the commander-in-chief of the Turkish fleet, Hussein Pasha, then responsible for law in Hydra. Holding a high position in the Ottoman navy, Voulgaris also had jurisdiction over the neighboring islands of Spetses and Poros. This structure served as the entrance to the mansion he built on this site, which was demolished by order of the Hydra community on the eve of the Balkan wars.